Early childhood is a crucial time in development. Connecticut is on the cutting edge of assuring that our youngest children have competent and qualified teachers to guide them through the beginning years.
The Connecticut Early Childhood Teacher Credential (ECTC) is a competency-based credential awarded by the Connecticut State Department of Education. This credential validates competency in six standard areas:
- Promoting Child Development and Learning
- Building Family and Community Relationships
- Observing, Documenting and Assessing to Support Young Children and Families
- Using Developmentally Effective Approaches
- Using Content Knowledge to Build Meaningful Curriculum
- Growing as a Professional
The University of Connecticut Human Development and Family Studies concentration in Early Childhood Development and Education meet all these standards. Students who graduate from UConn’s HDFS Early Childhood Ed program are eligible for endorsement at the Infant/Toddler and Preschool levels.